Information for Prospective Students

Collapse All Expand All

To register for JCWS-H, contact your Service Admissions POC. Each POC will have information concerning schedules and the RC-specific nominative process.

JCWS-H Admissions Service POC's


Com: (502) 613-9035
DSN: 983-9035


Com: (757) 322-6610
DSN: 262-6610


Com: (703) 607-7337
DSN: 327-7337


Com: (703) 601-7066
DSN: 327-7066

Com:(240) 612-8676
DSN: 612-8676

MSgt Kevin Colbert
Comm:  (240) 612-8141 (DSN 612)


Com: (478) 327-1291
DSN: 497-1291


Com: (202) 475-5491


Com: (703) 784-0523
DSN: 278-0523



  1. U.S. Military Officers (grades 04 and above). Students must have completed JPME Phase I at an Intermediate/Senior Service School or an approved equivalent. JCWS-H is designed for officers in the grades O-4 to O-6. Historically, our graduates range from Warrant Officers through O-8 during periods where eligibility criteria differed from present requirements.
  2. Students must have a current Secret Clearance (more...)
  3. Students must be selected by their respective Service.
The following are NOT prerequisites and are provided to enable you to better understand the program:
  1. Component. JCWS-H is designed for the Reserve Component. Title 10, U.S. Codes specifies that JPME II must be taught in residence only. DODI 1300.19, DOD Joint Officer Management Program, directs that JCWS-H is equivalent to JPME II for RC officers as a qualification for JQO Level III.
  2. Grade. JCWS-H is designed for officers in the grades O-4 to O-6; however, there have been graduates as junior as Warrant Officer and as senior as O-8.
  3. Position. The target for the course is an RC officer serving in or destined to serve in a billet on a Joint Staff or Joint Task Force. The reality is nearly every RC officer could be destined to serve in a Joint billet and some of our graduates have reported they were selected for joint assignments based on completion of JCWS-H.
Prospective civilian students must first be nominated by Flag/General/SES Officer in their chain-of-command; include this nomination memo in package along with a one-page student biography or resume, to include education and career history.
If the nominee has not completed JPME Phase I, they will need to attend the prerequisite five-day Joint Transition Course (JTC), which is scheduled four times per year.
The standard time frame for submitting applications is NLT 90-days prior to class start date. Final admissions authority rests with the JFSC Commandant.
Please fax or mail nomination packages to Fax: (757) 443-6026 or address: Joint Forces Staff College, Attn: DAA-Registrar, 7800 Hampton Blvd, Norfolk VA 23511-1702.
If additional program information is needed, please contact JFSC's Student Administration and Registrar Office at Commercial (757) 443-6189; DSN 646-6189.
Civilian DoD and  Interagency students who have not completed JPME Phase I will be scheduled to attend JTC. However, JTC must be completed prior to the start of F2-F1. For JTC scheduling and coordination, please contact the Registrar Office at DSN: 646-6124 or Comm: (757) 443-6124.


You or your respective Reserve Component (RC) must make the appropriate temporary duty orders and secure travel arrangements and funding for attendance of the in-residence portions of the JCWS-H syllabus. To be clear, Joint Forces Staff College doe NOT fund RC orders for student attendance. For issues concerning your travel orders and/or order funding, coordinate directly with your respective RC POC. We will collect a copy of your travel orders at in-processing.

You will receive more specific travel-specific information from your instructor.

NAVY STUDENTS: Block 5 on your orders must have one of the following locations in order to receive pay for your time here: PERSUPPDET NS NORFOLK; or, PERSUPPDET SEWELLS POINT. A copy of your PAGE 2 is required during in-processing.



All students will receive an officer evaluation report, PIM, or letter documenting course completion covering the 40 weeks of JCWS-H. USAR/ARNG students will receive a DA Form 1059, USAFR/ANG students will receive an AF Form 475. Navy and USMC students will receive a PIM. USCGR, DoD civilians and interagency civilians receive a letter documenting course completion.



For more information about the JCWS-H program please contact:




Blackboard, the National Defense University Learning Portal and Learning Management System (LMS), is available at

Blackboard is an Internet based software portal that supports distance education. JCWS-H students utilize Blackboard to access online course materials and to communicate with faculty and colleagues. Student Blackboard access will be set up by JFSC upon course enrollment.


Q. Who is eligible?
A. Detailed information on eligibility requirements is listed above.
Q. How do I apply?
A. Individuals must apply via their respective Service. JFSC cannot take direct applications for the program. Information on Service POCs can be found above at JCWS-H Student Application/Service POCS.
Q. What do I get out of this course once I've completed it?
A. DODI 1300.19 specifies JPME Phase II or JCWS-H as qualifications for RC officers to achieve JQO Level III. The knowledge gained will better prepare you to serve in a Joint billet and may qualify you for specific Joint RC billets.
Q. Can the requirement for U.S. Military to complete JPME Phase I be waived?
A. No.
Q. Is there civilian academic credit associated with JCWS-H?
A. Yes. JFSC is part of the National Defense University, which is nationally accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. The JCWS-H program has been granted up to 9 quarter hour credits toward a Master's degree. Memorandum of Understanding and Agreement exist with multiple universities.
Q. How much time will it take to complete the coursework?
A. The course typically takes six hours per week.
Q. Are there any writing requirements?
A. Yes. There are formal writing assignments and numerous online assignments. Non-instructional weeks are scattered throughout the two DL phases to allow students research time.
Q. Must I be online at any specific time?

Typically students must complete assigned lessons during scheduled one- or two-week periods, working at times most convenient for them. There are, however, some synchronous events that require students to meet online at specific times. As students in a typical JCWS-H class are located in multiple time zones around the world, recordings are made available for those who cannot attend.

Q. Can I accelerate my pace in the course and complete it earlier?
A. No. Classes progress together from Week 1 to Week 40. There are specific time gates for individual lessons. Students learn as much or more from the discussion threads with each other and having them at varying stages in the process would not support our academic objectives.
Q. How do I get funding to attend the F2F periods?

Individuals must coordinate funding via their respective Service. Information on Service POCs can be found above at "JCWS-H Student Application".

Q. Where are the F2F sessions conducted?
A. They are conducted at JFSC in Norfolk, Virginia.
Q. How will I access the JCWS-H courseware?
A. Blackboard, the National Defense University Learning Portal, is the system used to access online course materials and to communicate with faculty and colleagues. It is available at


Click here to expand contentClick here to collapse content    


Last Updated: 08 September 2015