COVID Impact: Due to COVID-19, the JCWS Resident course is currently delivered virtually through online Learning Management Systems, including Blackboard and Microsoft O365. Please note that although JCWS will be taught online, it is NOT self-paced, and your virtual academic experience will be demanding.
This will require several things of you as students:
- The ability to meet the normal standards for participation and assessments. You should not be assigned duties beyond the educational mission for the duration of the course. This will include 10 full time work weeks plus additional time for readings and written assignments to studying for exams.
- Prospective students should plan on full days of instruction with a combination of both synchronous and asynchronous methods of instruction.
- Expect an average of 3-5 hours of synchronous sessions per day
- The remainder of your time will be spent reading, writing, collaborating in small groups and responding to asynchronous lessons (i.e. Discussion boards)
- An unclassified workspace with access to internet. This space must be suitable for the performance of academic/Government business. You will need adequate space to work as well as the ability to hear others and contribute to group discussion without competing noise. Your space should be generally free of distractions. In other words, Starbucks or Panera Bread is not going to meet the mark.
- A computer that meets the NDU IT requirements/guidance: https://www.ndu.edu/Students/IT-Requirements-and-Guidance/
Time Zones: Seminars are arranged by time zone as much as possible to facilitate collaboration between students
- European based Seminars can anticipate a later work day (i.e. 1300 and on)
- East and Central based Seminars can anticipate a fairly routine workday
- West Coast and Asia-Pacific based Seminars can anticipate a variety of different schedules as a function of the wide grouping of time zones we have historically pushed into this group. Our faculty will work evenings and students will work anything from afternoon into evening hours all the way to very early morning classes (Japan/Korea and further West Time Zones)
Please ensure you accurately fill out your NDU questionnaire and that your Service knows where you will be taking the course from.
If you have not received an email from the registrar 14 days prior to class start date, please contact JCWS OPS and provide your specific location (email@example.com)
Attending JCWS virtually is a full-time endeavor, just like traveling TDY to Norfolk, VA. If your organization is not willing to lose you for 10 weeks, please consider shifting to a future class.